Friday, May 29, 2009

It's a Wonderful Life

It's about that time of year now and the school play is "It's a Wonderful Life". It's one of my favorite movies. So, I went to the auditions and I waited and waited as lots and lots of people tried out. But while I was sitting on that cool school hallway floor I got to thinking about all the things that I would have to do this summer and fall. Do I really want to add a play into that equation? I called my mom. She agreed with me and we decided that it would be best not to do it. So I waited until the next group of people left the room and I slipped in real quick.
"Mrs. B.?"
"Yes."
"Well, I've been thinking about the whole play and all the stuff that I have to do this summer and my parents and I were thinking that maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea for me to go out for it."
"Are you sure?"
"Yea."
"Well... could you maybe just read this part with Chris real quick?"
"I suppose."
I went and got Chris and we practiced real quick in a side room and then came out and did it for her.

"That was really good!"

"Thanks." I blushed slightly.

"Now, you do know that George and Mary in the play have to kiss."

I stopped. ERR!

"Is that all right with both of you?"

"I can't kiss anybody Mrs. B. I'm sorry"

"Okay, well then would you consider the part of Mrs. Bailey, George's Mom?"

"I...that...I'd have to talk to my parents."

"Well that is fine, why don't you give me a call tomorrow and let me know. Okay?

"I can do that. Thank you."

I left.

The next day the director called me up and asked me to come in and read opposite some guys just to see how we do. So, I showed up and did what she wanted and afterward I talked to her, she explained to me that George and Mary kissing wasn't a very big issue and that they just wanted to get the right two people for the parts, she said they could work around it. I said all right and went home. Now I was gonna have to wait 2 WHOLE DAYS to find out what part I got. When I got home I explained it all to Mom and Dad and we prayed about it. I prayed and prayed and asked the Lord to help me have the right attitude no matter what part I got.

I waited...



and waited...



Until this morning when I got a phone call...



It was the director...


"Hello this is Leah."

"Leah, this is Mrs. B."

"Hello."

"Mrs. V. and I have been talking constantly and thinking things over... and we wanted to ask you..."

I gulped...

"we wanted to ask you if you would be all right if we gave you the part of..."

I prayed, Lord Jesus please help me to have the right attitude about this.

"The part of.....


Mary Hatch"

I was stunned!

"Umm.. yea! That would be great."

"Well, we just wanted to make sure it was still all right with you and your parents."

"Yea, it's great with us!"


Thank you Jesus!

12 comments:

Melanie said...

YAAAAAAYYYYYY!!! Congrats!!!
Oh, I wish I could fly out to Minnesota and watch you perform! :-D

So do you get to get out of the kissing part?

SisterlyLove said...

Wow! How exciting!! I wish I could go see it! I'm sure you'll do simply wonderful! I love this movie too. =]

Good luck and have fun!
~Marguerite

Anonymous said...

Hey! Congrats! I would so LOVE to do something like that! =D Have fun! I've been following your blog for awhile now, and I love it! I don't remember where I found it, though. Nor do I remember if I've ever commented before. So... Hi! =D
Hope you have a fantastic weekend!
Emily
P.S. Are you on the Rebelution? Maybe that's where I found you...

Leah said...

Melanie-
Yes I did get out of the kissing part! :P Yippee. It makes me VERY happy. We might just have to tape if for you.

Melanie said...

Oh yes! Please do!
When is it? Probably not for a while yet...?

Margaret Dashwood said...

WOW TOO COOOOLL LEAH!!!! Man, wish I could see you perform!!!:D

Leah said...

Emily-
I don't believe you've commented before. Thank you for your comment now! I don't think I'm on the Rebelution website, but I'm glad that you found my site. :)


Melanie-
The production date is aimed at the weekend before Thanksgiving. Normally it's in Sept. but they moved it farther back because of the wintry theme of the movie. I wish you could come and see me! How about I come and pick you guys up and bring you here?

Jason Hunsicker said...

Wow, that's awesome Leah! I can't tell you how many times I was put in that same situation when I was in High School. I hope and pray that you have a blast doing the show!

I wish I could come to see it!

Melanie said...

Leah,
Sounds good to me!! :-P
And if all else fails, you've got to video tape it for me!! K? :-D
~your eager friend who wants to go to Minnesota!!

SisterlyLove said...

awwweee! Congratulations! I AM so happy for you! I love Mary. she has such a lovely part! I know you will play her well! I only wish i could come and see the play! Oh, dear.... I have always wanted to be in a play but i was never brave enough too do it! I think I should like to take some acting lessons. hee hee! so awesome, Mary! I'm so glad you got the part! Happy day!
aimee

Amanda said...

WOW!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shelly said...

*with tears in my eyes*
Leah, I am so proud of you! God has allowed you to the opportunity to shine for Him in many ways and I am excited to see how He will use this for His glory... I want to come to the play!!!! I am so excited. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, I have not been blog reading in a while!! I am SOOO excited!!!!