Thursday, March 19, 2009

Are we playing Limbo with our standards?

I've been thinking a lot lately about standards. Whose standards do we go by? God's of course! But looking at it through a worldly view people have to make up their own. Right? If you don't have a set standard already you've got to make one up. You can have standards for various things. For instance:obeying your parents What is your standard on this topic? You might think well I don't really have a standard, I just go with the flow and I do whatever makes me feel good. But that right there is a standard in and of it self. Your standard of something that is acceptable is something that goes with the flow and something that makes you feel good. Am I right? I thought I would share some thoughts of mine on this issue.


Now what I'm going to be referring to are the acts of disobeying, not listening, and disrespecting your parents. The reason I will be doing that is because I've been struggling with these particular issues for a while and I've talked to a good variety of people and I've gotten a variety of answers. I have talked to a handful of various unsaved people about how hard it is to submit to my parents and they 're response is generally "That is totally normal. Teenagers aren't supposed to want to be around their parents, it's normal for you to want to do your own thing and not want to obey them. It's all right to do this because you've got to figure out who you are. It's normal." I gasped. What!! It's NORMAL! Um... I don't think so. There is nothing NORMAL about it. Is that the standard that the world has set for teenagers? The standard of when they disobey, disrespect and just flat out reject your authority is normal? What a messed up world!! And so I thought about this. Is it REALLY normal for me to have problems submitting to my parents? Now, do not get me wrong. I LOVE MY PARENTS! And I am trying with the Lord's grace to submit to them on everything. But due to sin my flesh doesn't want to do that. So it's something I struggle with. But the thought that it's normal for teenagers NOT to have a problem with not submitting to there parents or even their parents ACCEPTING it and not dealing with this and just waving it off as just the "teenage years" is preposterous!

But I've also talked to my Christian friends and it's a different view all together! It's unbelievable how distorted the world is. I take that back. It's not unbelievable because that's exactly how I would be and how we would all be if the Lord hadn't saved us. Only by God's grace are we not warped like the world. What my Christian friends say is totally lined up with the Bible. So I will give you some of the verses that I've found and some that have been shared with me.

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.

Ephesians 6:1

Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.

Colossians 3:20

Hear, my son, your father’s instruction, and forsake not your mother’s teaching, (9) for they are a graceful garland for your head and pendants for your neck.

Proverbs 1:8-9

The eye that mocks a father and scorns to obey a mother will be picked out by the ravens of the valley and eaten by the vultures.

Proverbs 30:17

My son, keep my words and treasure up my commandments with you; (2) keep my commandments and live; keep my teaching as the apple of your eye; (3) bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart.

Proverbs 7:1-3

There are so many more verses I could share!


So, disobeying your parents, dishonoring them etc., should NOT be normal. And to think that it's just normal for teenagers to act this way is a horrible standard to put on them!! Praise the Lord that I've got a different standard!


Here is another random thought here. I was recently thinking about some different posts of mine and how pointless they are. I mean why did I post them? I thought about deleting them but then I thought that I would leave them up so that I will hopefully be able to see a change in my posting since I started blogging. Lord willing there has been a change.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Leah, what a good post! You are right, everyone has a standard... whether it's disobeying, or any other matter. Like you said, we must choose God's standard!
You know, I was thinking about what you said, people saying it's "normal" for teenagers to rebel. I think it should actually be considered ABnormal, because it is not the way God originally intended it to be. That's a little random, but anyway. Thank you so much for sharing.

And about your P.S., I want to encourage you: I HAVE seen a change! I have been so blessed to read your posts lately as they seem to reflect how you are growing in the Lord and in your desire to know and please Him. They have been much more Christ-centred. Praise the Lord! Keep it up, dear friend! :-) Love you!!

*hugs*