Saturday, January 31, 2009

sunset

Pleasures are shafts of glory as it strikes our sensibility.... But aren't there bad, unlawful pleasures? Certainly there are. But in calling them "bad pleasures" I take it we are using a kind of shorthand. We mean "pleasures snatched by unlawful acts." It is the stealing of the apples that is bad, not the sweetness. The sweetness is still a beam from the glory....I have tried since...to make every pleasure into a channel of adoration. I don't mean simply by giving thanks for it. One must of course give thanks, but I mean something different... Gratitude exclaims, very properly, "How good of God to give me this." Adoration says, "What must be the quality of that Being whose far-off and momentary coruscations are like this!" One's mind runs back up the sunbeam to the sun....



~When I Don't Desire God, John Piper pg. 18 quoting C.S Lewis

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Wow, that's a great quote!
And a beautiful picture too!