½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. baking soda
1 8 oz. container dairy sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1 12-oz. pkg. semisweet chocolate pieces
1 4-oz. pkg. sweet baking chocolate, grated
1 C. powdered sugar
1 T. milk
1) Preheat the oven to 325°. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan. Set aside.
2) To make the cake: In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter or margarine and shortening with an electric mixer. Gradually add 1½ cups of the sugar and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks. Beat on medium-high speed for 5 minutes.
3) In another mixing bowl, stir together the flour, salt and baking soda.
4) Add the flour mixture and the sour cream to the butter mixture, alternately, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix just until blended after each addition.
5) Stir in the vanilla, 1 1/3 cups of the chocolate pieces and all of the grated chocolate.
6) Using clean beaters and a clean medium mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Gradually add the remaining ½ cup sugar to the egg whites, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
7) Stir one third of the beaten egg white mixture into the batter to lighten it. Then, carefully fold in the remaining egg white mixture.
8) Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake in the 325° oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a serving plate.
9) To make the glaze: combine the powdered sugar and milk. Add more milk if a thinner consistency is desired. Spoon the glaze over the warm cake. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate pieces over the glaze. Cool before serving.
Makes 16 Servings
Fresh Orange Cake