Thursday, February 28, 2008

Spurgeon's Morning and Evening

"Salvation is of the Lord."-- Jonah ii. 9.

He is both "Alpha and Omega." "Salvation is of the Lord." If I am prayerful, God makes me prayerful; if I have graces, they are God's gifts to me; if I hold on in a consistent life, it is because He upholds me with His hand. I do nothing whatever towards my own preservation, except what God himself first does in me. Whatever I have, all my goodness is of the Lord alone. Wherein I sin, that is my own; but wherein I act rightly, that is of God, wholly and completely. If I have repulsed a spiritual enemy, the Lord's strength nerved my arm. Do I live before men a consecrated life? It is not I, but Christ who liveth in me. Am I sanctified? I did not cleanse myself: God's Holy Spirit sanctifies me... Do I grow in knowledge? The great Instructor teaches me... Am I continually receiving fresh increase of strength? Where do I gather my might? My help cometh from heaven's hills: without Jesus I can do nothing. As a branch cannot bring forth fruit except it abide in the vine, no more can I, except I abide in Him.

- Feb. 26 Morning

"Thou hast made the Lord, which is my refuge, even the Most High, thy habitation."--Psalm xci. 9.

The Christian knows no change with regard to God. He may be rich to-day and poor to-morrow he may be distressed-- but there is no change with regard to his relationship to God. If he loved me yesterday, He loves me to-day. My unmoving mansion of rest is my blessed Lord. Let prospects be blighted; let hopes be blasted; let joy be withered; let mildews destroy everything; I have lost nothing of what I have in God. He is "my strong habitation whereunto I can continually resort." I am a pilgrim in the world, but at home in my God. In the earth I wander, but in God I dwell in a quite habitation.

-Feb. 27 Morning


"Whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting." --Micah v. 2

What! has He carried me in His hand, as His precious jewel, and will He now let me slip from between His fingers? Did he choose me before the mountains were brought forth, or the channels of the deep were digged, and will He now reject me? Impossible! I am sure He would not have loved me so long if He had not been a changeless Lover. If he could grow weary of me, He would have been tired of me long before now. If He had not loved me with a love as deep as hell, and as strong as death, He would have turned from me long ago. Oh joy above all joys, to know that I am His everlasting and inalienable inheritance, given to him by his Father or ever the earth was! Everlasting love shall be the pillow for my head this night.

-Feb. 27 Evening

No comments: