Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Learning to Live "At Home"

You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.
Psalm 32:7

I think distractions in prayer are often because we have let ourselves wander too far from the things that matter most. And so we slip into an easily interrupted, easily distracted frame of mind. We need to live more at home.
"In him we live and move and have our being" (Acts 17:28) This means, simply, God is our home.

Home of my heart, lest I forget
My redemption's cost to Thee,
Let my earliest thought be set
Upon Thy Calvary

Do you see what I mean? These words, which center my attention on what matters most, speak of something that I cannot drop out of my day without great loss to me.

I know without question that an earnest "look" at Calvary does more to help our life of prayer than we imagine:

So shall the sayings of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be pleasing continually before Thee, O Lord my helper and my Redeemer.
Psalm 19:14

-------------------------------------------------------------------

MY FATHER, SOMETHING inward tells me I have been living scattered. Sometimes anxious. Restless. Distracted. Wandering inside. I fix my eyes upon the cross now- upon the post and crossbeam which became my one bridge back to your side. And I lift my eyes beyond the cross, to the One who sits beside you- to Jesus, the Risen One! My Lord, my brother, with arms outstretched in welcome. Calling me:

"Come home."

I come, Father, to hide myself in you.



-I Come Quietly to Meet You- Amy Carmichael pg. 13-14

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Leah,

THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL. That was so what I have been needing lately as I find myself so terribly distracted from the things of the Lord because of focusing too much on the world. May our minds and hearts be focused on our Lord Jesus all day long.

Thank you for posting this!

Love you,
Melanie