Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Yes, school starts already, in fact I started today. It's going to take a little bit to get back into the peaceful rhythm of morning school, but I am looking forward to it. How I love our mornings together! It's hard to believe that this is my last year of school. *sniff* God has taught me MANY wonderful lessons during these 12 years. My dad and mom always say "You are in school your whole life. Even though you may not be in a classroom, you are ALWAYS learning." Such sweet, beautiful words of wisdom. :) So, to start off this "last first day of school" I will share a quote by Martin Luther from my history book.


After being excommunicated from the church for opposing papal dogma, Luther was summoned to Worms in 1521 to appear before the Emperor Charles V and his assembly or diet. There, when asked to recant or suffer the fate of a heretic, Luther gave a reply that was the moral equivalent of an earthquake:

Since then Your Majesty and your lordships desire a simple reply, I will answer without horns and without teeth. Unless I am convicted by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils, for they have contradicted each other- my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not recant anything, for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I stand, I cannot do otherwise. God help me, Amen.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

I LOVE THAT QUOTE BY M. LUTHER!!!! If only all of God's people had that courage to stand for God's Word against such odds.

How fun that we get to enjoy our last year of school together. :-) Miles away, of course, but still we get to enjoy graduating at the same time and everything. :-) Your parents are right, learning is a continuous thing! I know I have SO much to learn, and am glad that it doesn't stop at the end of 12th grade.

Love you, praying for you, and looking forward to hearing from you! :-D

~MEA :-D

Nikki said...

What do your pencils say?

Amanda said...

That's one of my favorite quotes. Good luck (or blessings, rather) with your last year! :)