Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Wild Wood

When at last the Mole woke up, much refreshed and in his usual spirits, the Rat said, "Now then! I'll just take a look outside and see if everything's quiet, and then we really must be off."
He went to the entrance of their retreat and put his head out. Then the Mole heard him saying quietly to himself, "Hullo! hullo! here--is--a--go!"
"What's up, Ratty?" asked the Mole.
"Snow is up,"replied the Rat briefly; "or rather, down. It's snowing hard."
The Mole came and crouched beside him, and, looking out, saw the wood that had been so dreadful to him in quite a changed aspect. Holes, hollows, pools, pitfalls, and other black menaces to the wayfarer were vanishing fast, and a gleaming carpet of faery was springing up everywhere, that looked too delicate to be trodden upon by rough feet. A fine powder filled the air and caressed the cheeck wth a tingle in its touch, and the black boles of the trees showed up in a light that seemed to come from below.
"Well, well, it can't be helped," said the Rat, after pondering. "We must make a start, and take our chance, I suppose. The worst of it is, I don't exactly know where we are. And now this snow makes everything looks so very different."



-When it snowed on Friday I felt like I was living this part in The Wind in the Willows. I was so thrilled! This picture was taken by Ana.

1 comment:

Fred & Leon said...

I just saw on your sidebar, that you are learning Bach's 13th Invention, and laughed because I'm in the process of learning the same one! I just thought it was pretty funny.

BTW, I sent you an email the other day. It was just a quiz, and I wasn't sure if you had changed your email address or not.

~Emily